Centos-and-Speakup?

Hart Larry chime at hubert-humphrey.com
Tue Nov 16 13:11:27 EST 2010

Hi All:  Well, looks like `finally around December 03 I will have help in
upgrading my PC, including an OS?  1 of my tcsh experts is suggesting I try
Centos.  In running google searches, I see 2 postings in 2008 on this subject.
Has it become any easier installing Centos with Speakup?
In looking over the centos site, I see nothing about screen-readers, so I have
no idea what's available?
In considering an OS, I would want something which is not such a major project
to update versions.  Also, many times in fc9 yum does not find dependancies, so
I must manually find missing pieces.  Also in some cases Fedora does not ship
mp3 related software, such as certain SOX plugins.
Would Centos accmplish these for me?  And I am still enjoying a DecTalk USB, so
would the drivers work in Centos?
And lastly what about OCR packages with Centos?
I look forward t reading your collective comments, so I can make the right
discision for me, as I am not a programmer, just a happy user.
Thanks so much in advance
Hart