ot: on line banking?

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Thu Jul 15 21:48:12 EDT 2010

Regardless of W3c guidelines business will drive the demands and
provisioning of online banking.
It is often necessary to do input validation on form input as it saves
processing time on the loaded banking site. A browser must thereby
support javascript in order to achieve this. This includes the ability
to pop up dialog boxes or a textual equivalent.

Browser must also support persistent cookies and ssl.
Some bank sites also require users to click on numbers on a keypad or
select them with a keyboard to defeat key loggers etc.

If banking sites move towards capchas then image display/ocr options
will be necessary.

If banking under Linux I'd suggest Orca and firefox.
Otherwise a windows Machine/virtual machine with Windows NVDA and
firefox/internet explorer works well. Firefox works extremely well with
NVDA.

Failing those options getting a Mac also works with the majority of
online bank sites.
Banks will serve the majority of their customers and for the time being
that is Windows and Mac users.

With the proliferation of Flash, Javascript, capchas and Ajax I moved to
browsing the web primarily under Windows since 1999.

There may be hope however if your bank provides a mobile site, as these
rely far less on complex web technologies.
Regards, Kerry.