Installing Slackware with Speakup and Espeak

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sat Jan 2 12:12:39 EST 2010

I think the audio drivers being loaded on the install disk is the main
thing to consider here. I am not sure whether slackware loads the audio
drivers on the install disk and I have no reason to believe it should as
the disk is really an install disk rather than a LiveCD, so is really
there just to get the system installed. Now the audio drivers will be
there even if they are in a package as once you have finished the
install audio works fine.

Another thing I would like to see is that this work isn't just a custom
disk, it would be nice to see it head back to being part of slackware
itself. Its the one thing about slackware I really like, since the
initial inclusion of speakup, we have always had speakup included and
available to help with an install, and as said by Zack, with the serial
port disappearing software speech output is becoming more important.

Michael Whapples