Main advantages of SBL over Speakup

Alex Snow alex_snow at gmx.net
Fri Feb 12 12:14:11 EST 2010

What I've found with Dell with regards to linux support is they only
"support" it on server machines, but in my experience it works fine on
their desktop/laptop lines, at least the business ones.
On Thu, Feb 11,
2010 at 01:46:10PM -0500, Trevor Astrope wrote:
> Hi Butch,
>
> Check out the Dell Optiplex line. I'm not sure if all Optiplex models have
> a serial port, but there are some that do. It should be fine for XP, but
> Dell said linux is not supported on the Optiplex line. This doesn't mean
> that Linux won't install or work on these machines, but ymmv. John likely
> has more experience with linux on these  machines and might be able to
> provide more info...
>
> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010, Butch Bussen wrote:
>
> >A bit off topic, but can you tell me which Dell business machine has a
> >serial port? model?  I need a better machine for xp, but I need at least
> >one and preferably two serial ports.
> >Thanks.
> >73
> >Butch Bussen
> >wa0vjr
> >open Node 3148
> >Las Vegas
> >

> >On Thu, 11 Feb 2010, Trevor Astrope wrote:
> >
> >>John, what I said is there is no advantage to having speakup in the
> >>kernel if it cannot support serial synths on modern computers and I stand
> >>by my statement that most modern computers do not come with serial ports.
> >>I know there is a Dell business machine that does, but these are the
> >>exception, not the rule and are also much more expensive.
> >>
> >>Basically, my point is speakup needs to support external serial ports
> >>and/or usb serial ports going forward or it loses any advantage it has of
> >>being in the kernel. If software speech is the only option for the
> >>majority of computers, than there is really no point of speakup being in
> >>the kernel.
> >>
> >>Feel free to disagree, but I think my statements are accurate and you
> >>will find that over time you will find fewer and fewer machines with
> >>built-in serial ports, as usb was intended to replace rs232 serial ports
> >>and this is happening today, although I do agree it isn't totally
> >>complete.

[In 'Doctor' mode], I spent a good ten minutes telling Emacs what I
thought of it.  (The response was, 'Perhaps you could try to be less
abusive.')
	-- Matt Welsh