Main advantages of SBL over Speakup

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Feb 12 04:47:29 EST 2010

I have a couple comments.  First, last summer we looked extensively at
newegg.com.  Other than some low-end motherboards, the majority did not
have serial ports or headers.  They were obviously designed for gamers.
They had great onboard audio and tons of USB ports, but no serial.  We
found a grand total of about two.  This was last summer, so I can't help
but think the situation has only become worse.  Even then, it was
limited to one or two brands.  We did find one, but it took some
hunting.  I think it's for servers.

I have two answers why I personally refuse to use software speech on my
desktop.  First, it's a matter of preference.  I don't like ESpeak.  It
is free and that is good, but I find it hard to understand.  In the case
of the Ubuntu live CD, it chops off words, making it almost useless.
Secondly, not all sound cards are supported or are supported properly.
Many desktops come with Nvidia chipsets.  HP is definitely one.  Yes,
there are Nvidia drivers, but they are not free.  Either you have to
install probably buggy non-free drivers which might or might not work or
you have no sound, period.  That also applies to the Ubuntu install.
The sighted person who uses the HP machine complained that the installer
screws up the font on the monitor until after the installation is
complete and the non-free drivers are set up.  In my case, Linux
supports my sound card but at a very low volume.  I've tried everything
I can think of in amixer but even at full volume, it's only a whisper.
Windows doesn't have that problem.