Main advantages of SBL over Speakup

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Fri Feb 12 14:33:02 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 11:00:42AM -0600, John G. Heim wrote:
> I don't understand why its so important to you to
> have hardware speech on your desktop.

	For me, it's because I want a backup synthesizer when software
speech fails, and if like me, you run Debian "Testing," the software
synthesizer can fail after any upgrade.  With software TTS, you have 3
or 7 different things that could easily break, where with a hardware
synthesizer, you only have one.  Fewer parts and less complexity means
more stability.  Since I'm surrounded by the computer illidiot, sighted
assistance isn't an option, and a backup system is a must.

				Michael