debian testing no speech after new install

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Wed Aug 11 22:17:45 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 08:58:13PM -0500, Chris Brannon wrote:
> Just for a lark, would you mind running the command
> fuser /dev/ttyS0
> on that system?

I did just that from a root console and got no answers back; also $?
yielded a value of 1.

> Also, just out of curiosity, what daemons are you starting at boot?

DAEMONS=(pwrstatd alsa syslog-ng network netfs crond atd ntpd hal fam postgresql sshd speechd)

> Do any of those open the serial port?

I don't think so.  I don't know about things like HAL but would doubt
it.  I thought about speechd but the closest thing there would be the
generic module but that applies to Cepstral so no serial there.