debian testing no speech after new install

Chris Brannon cmbrannon79 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 21:58:13 EDT 2010

> No go here!!! I ran script to capture some of the output I got but I
> think the spkout module is severely broken or something.

No, it isn't the spkout module, and it isn't distro specific.
I don't know what it is.  I'm totally clueless.
The following synths have failed: Speakout, Audapter, and Double Talk
external.  In the case of the Double Talk external, it's a mixed bag.
Some folks are able to use it under kernel 2.6.34, while others aren't.

Could it be possible that the module won't load because some process
has opened the serial port?  I doubt it, but it's worth investigating.
Just for a lark, would you mind running the command
fuser /dev/ttyS0
on that system?
Also, just out of curiosity, what daemons are you starting at boot?
Do any of those open the serial port?

-- Chris