debian testing no speech after new install

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Wed Aug 11 21:30:45 EDT 2010

No go here!!! I ran script to capture some of the output I got but I
think the spkout module is severely broken or something.  Basically,
to compare with Chuck's configuration, I made sure my configs were
closest to his; at least right now, my MODULES entry in /etc/rc.conf
now only includes speakup and speakup_soft.  In my
/etc/modprobe.d/speakup.conf file, I have start=0 on the options line
for speakup_soft.  I commented out all other references to
speakup_spkout for now.

What I then did was to reboot my system where I would end up with no
speech; then I logged in with an ssh session so I could at least
monitor what was going on.  I then did the commands you will see in my
script output below.  I basically tried to modprobe the speakup_spkout
module but unsuccessfully but I could at least get soft speech going
again.  Can anyone offer some pointers on how I might fix thie module?
I realize it's hard for developers to test a module if they don't own
a synth but I have a speakout so would be willing to debug this if I
knew how:)

----- Begin script output -----
Script started on Wed 11 Aug 2010 06:12:26 PM MST
[root at lnx3 ~]# modprobe speakup_spkout
FATAL: Error inserting speakup_spkout (/lib/modules/2.6.34-ARCH/kernel/drivers/speakup-git/speakup_spkout.ko): No such device
[root at lnx3 ~]# modprobe speakup_spkout ser=0 start=0
[root at lnx3 ~]# talkwith spkout
Unable to switch to the spkout synthesizer.
This means that the driver is not built in, the module
is not loaded, or spkout is not a valid synthesizer.
[root at lnx3 ~]# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
speakup_spkout          1548  0
pcspkr                  1351  0
ipv6                  236542  22
fuse                   51934  3
usbhid                 32710  2
snd_hda_codec_realtek   192179  1
snd_seq_dummy           1071  0
hid                    60015  1 usbhid
snd_emu10k1           127275  2
snd_seq_oss            25016  0
snd_hda_intel          18769  0
snd_seq_midi_event      4488  1 snd_seq_oss
snd_rawmidi            15247  1 snd_emu10k1
snd_ac97_codec         87773  1 snd_emu10k1
snd_seq                41656  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_hda_codec          66815  2 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
usb_storage            33972  0
snd_pcm_oss            33474  0
snd_mixer_oss          14328  1 snd_pcm_oss
ac97_bus                 754  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm                58460  7 snd_emu10k1,snd_hda_intel,snd_ac97_codec,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_device          4353  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_emu10k1,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd_timer              15601  3 snd_emu10k1,snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_util_mem            1812  1 snd_emu10k1
snd_hwdep               4756  2 snd_emu10k1,snd_hda_codec
snd_page_alloc          5941  3 snd_emu10k1,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
snd                    42602  16 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_emu10k1,snd_seq_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_rawmidi,snd_ac97_codec,snd_seq,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_device,snd_timer,snd_hwdep
uhci_hcd               19280  0
ppdev                   4854  0
lp                      6684  0
i2c_viapro              5147  0
via_rhine              17097  0
emu10k1_gp              1506  0
speakup_soft            3502  0
amd64_agp               6571  1
parport_pc             27863  1
speakup                69429  2 speakup_spkout,speakup_soft
psmouse                50897  0
shpchp                 25563  0
ehci_hcd               31918  0
gameport                7165  2 emu10k1_gp
soundcore               5017  1 snd
i2c_core               15144  1 i2c_viapro
processor              25264  0
evdev                   6780  4
button                  3738  0
serio_raw               3526  0
thermal                 9746  0
mii                     3190  1 via_rhine
k8temp                  2623  0
parport                25403  3 ppdev,lp,parport_pc
sg                     20760  0
pci_hotplug            21691  1 shpchp
agpgart                23120  1 amd64_agp
usbcore               120437  7 usbhid,usb_storage,uhci_hcd,ehci_hcd
rtc_cmos                7578  0
rtc_core               11823  1 rtc_cmos
rtc_lib                 1486  1 rtc_core
ext3                  110244  2
jbd                    38969  1 ext3
mbcache                 4282  1 ext3
sr_mod                 13129  0
cdrom                  31337  1 sr_mod
sd_mod                 25507  6
pata_via                6539  4
pata_acpi               2300  0
sata_via                6240  0
libata                138839  3 pata_via,pata_acpi,sata_via
floppy                 48128  0
scsi_mod               79372  5 usb_storage,sg,sr_mod,sd_mod,libata
[root at lnx3 ~]# talkwith soft
[root at lnx3 ~]# talkwith spkout
Unable to switch to the spkout synthesizer.
This means that the driver is not built in, the module
is not loaded, or spkout is not a valid synthesizer.
[root at lnx3 ~]# killall -9 spespeakup
[root at lnx3 ~]# talkwith soft
[root at lnx3 ~]# exit
exit

Script done on Wed 11 Aug 2010 06:16:42 PM MST
----- End script output -----