Michael's ArchLinux Installation

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sun Apr 25 17:46:45 EDT 2010

Hello,
I think many have given you good answers up to now.

Here's a few additional things I would mention.

Regarding hardware support, try linux and see what you get, if it
doesn't work then may be have a look around for drivers. Specifically
for audio whilst installing, if the modified archlinux CD doesn't detect
your sound card by default then may be try GRML (if GRML works but the
archlinux CD doesn't then Chris may like to get some info from you so he
can try and fix it).

Regarding what is downloaded (assuming if installation is using the
internet for the source), you will be downloading the entire system (a
basic one with speakup but not brltty is only about 100MB of download,
it goes up if you want gnome, brltty, etc). If you have package CDs then
if you have all the core packages and the ones for speakup, etc it
shouldn't need anything from the internet (NOTE: I haven't done an
install from package CDs).

Finally coming to the dual booting stuff, I have always done it with
Windows first installed. One thing you may want to do (if possible) is
tell windows to only use part of the disk as that would save having to
resize it. In the audio tutorial I do show you how to configure grub so
that you can select which OS to boot when the computer starts, however I
did make a mistake. The error is that I enabled the makeactive line in
the windows section and installed grub to the linux partition, this
simply means that when you boot windows you won't get the grub screen.
To solve, either install grub to the MBR or do not include the
makeactive line.

Regarding the use of NTFS, do use it as that's best for windows XP. To
access NTFS from linux you will probably want the ntfs-3g package.

Michael Whapples