Michael's ArchLinux Installation

JP Jamous JP at Jepelsy.com
Sun Apr 25 17:22:35 EDT 2010

Guys,

Thank you tremendously. I am ready to play with that baby now.

I appreciate all 3 feedbacks.

-----Original Message-----
From: speakup-bounces at braille.uwo.ca [mailto:speakup-bounces at braille.uwo.ca]
On Behalf Of Gregory Nowak
Sent: Sunday, April 25, 2010 4:57 PM
To: Speakup is a screen review system for Linux.
Subject: Re: Michael's ArchLinux Installation

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 04:23:38PM -0400, JP Jamous wrote:
> 1. I have an ISO of core files and another large one, in case there is
> no internet access. My question is what is it going to pull down from
> the internet upon installation? Is it Linux files, drivers, or other?

I don't use archlinux, but I'd assume it will pull down software packages,
which would probably be a combination of all three of the above.

> 2. I found an Inspiron 1300 with a Celeron D and 256 MB on board. Will
> ArchLinux find the audio drivers automatically or do I have to pull
> them down and somehow link them to it? I am assuming the latter.

My guess is it might find your sound hardware automatically, but that
ultimately depends on the sound hardware in that machine. If you don't want
to spend time researching that machine's sound hardware on the net, and how
linux does with that hardware, then I would just suggest trying it, and
seeing what happens.

> I have a final question, which is broken down into 4 parts.
>
> 3. If I run both Linux and XP Pro on the machine.
>
> A. which one should I install first?

My suggestion would be to install xp first, followed by archlinux. If you do
it the other way round, xp will clobber the gnu/linux boot loader, and leave
you with a headache that even experienced gnu/linux users don't relish
dealing with if they can help it.

> B. Can I use NTFS or do I need FAT32?

If you're talking about your xp install, there's no reason for you to use
fat32, unless you know of a good reason for doing so. The linux kernel has
native read support for ntfs, and you can use ntfs-3g to write to ntfs file
systems under gnu/linux as well.

> C. Is there a specific order to install both operating systems?

Like I said in my answer to A above, I'd recommend installing xp first,
followed by archlinux.

> D. Will there be a duel Operating system manager to choose, which
> operating system I want to load?

Yes, you can either use the windows boot manager for this, or a gnu/linux
boot manager, such as grub. Which one you want to use depends on your
preference, and on how you set things up.

Greg

- --
web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org
skype: gregn1

Free domains: http://www.eu.org/ or mail dns-manager at EU.org -----BEGIN PGP
SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAkvUrI8ACgkQ7s9z/XlyUyAH1wCeOwJg/lowZPJeoz92nB+wmpYl
fQYAn323/Vs4prwU4a7iFJWFg3jdWGEZ
=+JCs