How do I get to learn Linux & SpeakUp? Re: How to use espeakup

Peter Tesar ptesar at ca.inter.net
Tue Sep 22 21:56:27 EDT 2009

Here are the steps I took to try Linux (on a live CD) and then attempt to
install it.

I have Windows and JAWS on my first physical disk partitioned into c: and d:
drives. I wanted to play it safe by putting Linux on a second physical disk.
This second disk was just installed but it is not partitioned. I understood
that the installing of Linux would perform the partitioning.

I listened to a few MP3 podcasts explaining how to install various
distributions of Linux. However, since the recordings, Linux versions have
changed and I know very little about Linux ORCA and Speakup.

I chose to start with Vinux. The Dr. Bongo's Vinux Development Blog site
gives 30 steps. From the Vinux UK site I downloaded the ISO file and burned
the live CD.

This Live CD originally worked. Four minutes after booting I heard “Welcome
to ORCA”. Then I could tab three times to hear the help, preferences and
quit buttons.

I focused on step 23 which explains How to install Vinux to a hard drive as
a duel system.
It states that the 'Install Vinux to Hard Drive' launcher will allow you to
partition your hard drive and install Vinux to it.

I thought that the five words in quotes should be typed in the console.
Step 13states: you have to press ctrl+alt+F1 from the running Gnome session
or the GDM login screen. You can then use Speakup to input commands from the
console

I pressed control+alt+f1 and then typed:
Install Vinux to Hard Drive (without the quotes).

This produced an error which I can’t remember exactly. I could use the ORCA
say lines keys (7, 8 and 9) to review the screen. The ORCA voice is a
challenge to understand.

Now When I boot to the live CD I hear “welcome to ORCA” and then nothing.
Now tabbing no longer results in the buttons being announced.

Since ORCA started with the live CD I thought that it would guide me through
the install to hard drive process. In retrospect, I think that there might
be an application called a launcher.

It would be helpful to have a list of command keystrokes for Linux, ORCA and
Speakup. I’m even wondering if the different Linux distributions have
different keystrokes. E.g. are alt+F1, alt+f2 and alt+F3 used by all the
Linuxes?

Where do I go from here?

Peter