speakup using different synths with software speech?

Christopher Moore christopher.h.moore at verizon.net
Sun May 31 19:54:18 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 09:58:59PM +0200, Hermann wrote:
> am So 31. Mai 2009 um 21:31:02 schrieb William Hubbs <w.d.hubbs at gmail.com>:
> >
> > Tyler,
> >
> > I recommend getting used to espeak.  The version of eloquence on linux
> > is old, buggy, and they are not planning to upgrade it.
> >
> He can look here:
> http://voxin.oralux.net/index.php#main
> I've bought a rather new version there a few months ago.
> Works pretty well, but to use it with Speakup Speech-Dispatcher is
> required.
There is also a speakup connector available on the ttsynth page.  This
allows you to run voxin or ttsynth with speakup without
speech-dispatcher.
The only problem I've found with the ttsynth speakup connector is that
it doesn't create a pid file so that it can't be stopped with a standard
init script.  I'm working on a patch for this.
I actually prefer the speakup connector  because you get
notified of capital letters with pitch change.  Not having a pitch
change option for caps is a shortcoming of speech-dispatcher.
Although voxin is designed for Debian based distros, I've gotten it to
work on arch linux.