speakup using different synths with software speech?

James Homuth james at the-jdh.com
Sun May 31 19:49:05 EDT 2009

Somewhat related, what's the likelyhood of Espeak voices getting
improvements to be more... I'm not sure what the word for it is, other than
human-sounding? That's been one of my main sticking points for why I'm still
with Windows on my primary machine; that, plus I've not until now had time
to test the accessibility of my particular preferred distribution. I did
hear a demonstration a while back of a version of Espeak, and while I could
definitely get used to it, I think I'd like it a whole lot better if it
didn't sound quite as robotic. I'm not saying it should equal eloquence by
any means, but the demo I heard kind of reminded me of the old Echo synths
used on the early Apple computers. Good, but could be better, IMHO. Anyway,
this was more a rambling/curiosity thing and by no means an attempt at
criticism as I've not actually gotten it running locally yet, so for all I
know my version of Espeak could already be improved over the demo I heard.