speakup 3.0.4 is out

Adam Myrow myrowa at bellsouth.net
Sun May 31 20:08:39 EDT 2009

I found a nasty bug right off with speakupconf.  It still doesn't work
quite right, at least with the Dectalk USB in RS232 mode.  All you have to
do to see it in action is do "speakupconf save" followed by "speakupconf
load."  After that, no uppercase characters will be echoed.  That is, you
will get silence when typing any uppercase character, or going over it in
review mode.  Also, the bug involving slowness with the Dectalk still
exists.  To reproduce it, simply echo something to the serial port that
the Dectalk is on.  You will get an I/O error, and the shell will hang
until you hit control-c.  Also, the Dectalk will now respond very slowly,
taking about 5 seconds to speak after any keystroke.  I originally noticed
this because of the HAL daemon, (hald.)  Apparently, it opens serial ports
during its initial startup.  I had to disable it in order to avoid this
bug.  So, for me, this new Speakup didn't fix anything.