speakup 3.0.4 is out

Hermann meinelisten at onlinehome.de
Sun May 31 16:07:37 EDT 2009

am So 31. Mai 2009 um 21:20:56 schrieb William Hubbs <w.d.hubbs at gmail.com>:

> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 05:53:34PM +0200, Hermann wrote:
> > On 31.05.2009 17:37, William Hubbs wrote:
> >>
> >> All,
> >>
> >> I would like to announce the release of speakup 3.0.4.
> >>
> >> This includes Chris Brannon's fixes for the sys file parameters, so
> >> speakupconf should work correctly now.  Thanks, Chris, for this fix.
> >>
> >> Also it includes a fix for the long-standing issue of slow
> >> responsiveness to the reading commands such as read full screen.  I am
> >> thinking this fix will also take care of the issue of some hardware
> >> synthesizers randomly timing out.  The issue was that we were not
> >> commanding the synthesizer to speak text being sent to it as often as we
> >> should have.
> >>
> >> If you are using the speakup git repository, this release is available
> >> now.  Just use git pull to retrieve it and do the installation from
> >> there.  Otherwise, it will be available on your distribution as soon as
> >> the maintainers can package it.
> >>
> > Could you please give the link to the Git repository?
> > Is it on the same site as Espeakup?
>
> To get the speakup repository, issue the following command:
>
> git clone http://linux-speakup.org/speakup.git

Was pretty slow.

> There is also currently a mirror which is updated every 3 hours at:
>
> git clone git://hubbs.homedns.org/speakup.git

That worked well.

> And Chris has a mirror which I do not recall right now.

The installation went well, and now it is possible to create that direct
file in /sys/module/speakup/parameters.
But one issue remains: When doing so, and start Espeakup with the -V option
using "de" for German, not all punctuation characters were echoed when
typing. In fact almost non are spoken. For English this works fine.
And one final thing: When I reboot my machine the direct file has changed
its value from 1 to 0; is this normal? Do I have to create a startup script
containing the change of this value together with Espeak's start options?
Hermann