changing synths

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at ftml.net
Sat May 30 04:35:03 EDT 2009

Hi guys,

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 05:42:17PM -0700, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> If the synth you want to switch to is built as a module, and that
> module hasn't yet been loaded, you'd just modprobe it. So, again for
> the dectlk, you'd modprobe speakup_dectlk I believe. Again, using the
> speakwith/talkwith script takes care of all of that for you automagically.

Not quite. The speakwith/talkwith scripts do not load modules. With
speakup, it is okay to have several of the driver modules loaded at the
same time, so that switching between synths is just a matter of echoing
the desired synth name to that variable, except that the connector
programs need to be killed or restarted as appropriate. Switching from
a soft synth to a hardware synth requires not only that the synthname
be changed, but the connector program be killed. And vice versa, it
needs to be restarted when switching back. Those are the chores the
scripts handle, plus reinitializing the speakup parameters just as
speakupconf would do.

Version 3 of the scripts merely avoids the bashism of relying on $UID
to detect who's running the scripts.

Chuck

                  My web site: www.hallenbeck.ftml.net
                      Microblog: http://identi.ca
                                --------
The reason that every major university maintains a department of
mathematics is that it's cheaper than institutionalizing all those people.