accessing .docx documents

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at ftml.net
Fri May 29 07:14:17 EDT 2009

Hi Jason,

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 10:59:48AM +0000, Jason White wrote:

> There is even a Debian package for it. I haven't installed or tested it,
> however.
>
> Package: unoconv
> New: yes
> State: not installed
> Version: 0.3-5

Unoconv on archlinux does the job, but it was tricky to get running.
Although it is a command line tool, it does require that an X display
be available when it is run.  It does in fact convert .docx documents,
although that extension does not appear in the list of supported
formats.

Cheryl Hodiak pointed me to a perl script which does just as well, if
not better, than unoconv with .docx files, and does not require any X
support. However, it is a single format converter, unlike unoconv.
Scheryl's script was called cryptically docx2txt, and is available from
sourceforge.

Chuck

                  My web site: www.hallenbeck.ftml.net
                      Microblog: http://identi.ca
                                --------
The reason that every major university maintains a department of
mathematics is that it's cheaper than institutionalizing all those people.