speakup using different synths with software speech?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun Jun 7 06:45:09 EDT 2009

Yes, but it's considered experimental and still has a slight British
accent. I think a lot of the problem, at least for me, is what I'm used
to. I did use Espeak for a long time yesterday from the Ubuntu live CD
trying to get my system to boot and I got to where I didn't mind too
much. I still would want an alternative for reading books and long
passages of text, but I could get used to it for daily tasks. Actually,
I was very impressed with how well it and Orca worked in the Gnome
Terminal. I think I got my boot problems fixed, and I had no problem
mounting my LVM volumes and fixing grub. I actually liked it better than
grml, which locked up twice. Also, I'm finding that the sound card makes
more difference than I thought. At first, I thought it was just the
speakers, but the machine I was working on had a new onboard sound
chipset that I hadn't used before. It was actually not that bad.
Finally, by default, Speakup and Orca don't use the US English voice, so
it takes some adjustment to get them to use it. I'm still looking for
suggestions for a decent sounding voice for reading books, but for now I
can live with either using Espeak or my hardware synths with the
Emacspeak speech servers.