speakup using different synths with software speech?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Thu Jun 4 07:29:35 EDT 2009

Hi all,

Apparently my position was unclear.  I'm aware of Voxin and I might look
at it, although I understand that it requires older libraries and can be
difficult to set up.  I'm on x86-64 and I don't know if there is a
64-bit version.  I really don't mind paying for software speech in
principle.  The simple fact is that I don't like any software speech,
regardless of what it is.  I've used RealSpeak, Eloquence, ESpeak,
Festival, AT&T Flextalk, and the software DEC-talk.  I really didn't
like any of them, although some were tolerable.  They all have a high
memory and CPU overhead which hardware doesn't.

I wouldn't be opposed to contributing somehow to ESpeak, but I really
don't have the money (see my previous post) and I'm not a programmer.
I'm really not sure what I could do.  It seems to work well enough, so
it isn't like there are bugs to report.  The documentation seems fine,
at least I had no problem using it with NVDA, Orca or ESpeakup.  I am
not trying to complain specifically about ESpeak, my comments generally
apply to all software speech.  I don't think I could get used to the
ESpeak voice for hours at a time though.

Finally, if I did spend a fairly large amount of money on software,
whether it's speech or something else, I would want it to be open
source.  Yes, the GPL does allow companies to charge for software, as
long as the source is included.  I'll probably never use the source, but
at least I could recompile it on whatever system I'm using, such as
Debian Lenny on x86-64.  So, unless I'm mistaken, not only is the
software itself non-free, but they want money for it besides and it
still is not and never will be free software.  Surely people here can
understand why I would not want to use non-free software, regardless of
how much money is involved.  No, this really isn't about paying for
Windows, and only somewhat about the money involved.  Yes, call it my
prospectives or my principles, but I will not use software speech under
those conditions.  If it comes down to using non-free software speech on
Linux or using good hardware speech on Windows, since the dealer
installed Windows for me already and as such it doesn't cost me
anything, I'll keep using my old Windows 98 until it dies.  I can afford
to wait a long time for a free alternative for Linux to come along.

One last question on Orca and hardware speech.  I've used the DEC
Express with Emacspeak before, so I know it works and is supported.  I
don't know anything about speech servers though.  Would Orca support
that?  What about the Doubletalk LT, which I think is also supported by
Emacspeak?