speakup using different synths with software speech?

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Tue Jun 2 11:41:45 EDT 2009

Firstly orca and hardware synths:
I think some are supported via emacspeak speech servers. I don't know
how well this works and I believe it is limited to certain synths.

As for free software speech:
I have to say it is a bit of either take what is there (eg. espeak) or
pay your money for better. Voxin as I remember don't charge a huge
amount, it was about 5 euros when I bought it, really not much if the
quality of the speech is so important to you.

The alternative is to try and help work on better speech synthesisers
and bring something better forward and make that free software.

Personally I feel espeak is far better than anything in the past which
was opensource and makes software speech on a fully opensource system
viable.

Michael Whapples