Unix

Pia pmikeal at comcast.net
Thu Jul 30 16:00:40 EDT 2009

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, james collins wrote:

> I am looking at yasr.conf, in my text editor textwrangler I took the # remark
> character out on the line where doubletalk is. Should I comment emacspeak
> server? I think this is the default synthesizer but not sure? One thing I
> want to be able to do, is use yasr with lynx a text based Internet web
> browser I got awhile back. I don't know what emacspeak server is, should I
> comment this line out? Also I don't know about the port the default is

You do not want the emacspeak server.  That is for software speech
synthesizers not for the doubletalk

> synthesizer port=|/usr/local/bin/eflite

eflite is a software tts and so again you want to comment it out because
it is not the doubletalk

> And there is two port that are # commented out
>
> #synthesizer port=s0
> #synthesizer port=l0

port=s0

is the one you want to uncomment because s0 is a serial port, and I assume
you are using your double talk on a serial port?  If you are then s0 is
comm 1 and s1 is comm 2 if the PC language helps.  l0 i believe is the
parallel port although if I am wrong, someone please correct me.

> Don't really know what port to use. I have a couple of different USB ports on
> my laptop, would they both have different designations? I wonder how I could
> find out what each of my USB ports is named? Thanks for your help so far!

They would but I am not sure if any USB synth works with yasr or not.  I
know that in Linux the USB Dectalk has to be used in RS232 mode with the
old serial port, but MacOS would be totally different I would assume since
its hardware driver is different.  If anyone knows, feel free to speak up,
eheheh, pun intended.