Hello, and installing Speakup on Ubuntu Intrepid

Paul Hunt huntp at ukonline.co.uk
Wed Jan 28 10:06:09 EST 2009

Hello list,

I have just joined the list and would like to get started with Speakup but need some pointers.

I have been using Ubuntu on and off for a while now with Orca but am increasingly frustrated by its lack of reliability and would like to be able to fall back to a console with Speakup whenever something goes wrong with the x session or Orca etc.

I don't have a hardware synth so I'll be wanting to use a software synth preferably IBM tts (I've got this working with Orca) or if not then Espeak.

The info on the Speakup site is very out of date so I would be really grateful if someone could give me some good info on getting Speakup going on my Intrepid installation.  I'm fairly competant on a Linux command line but haven't compiled a kernel before.

Thanks for any help.
Paul