making a backup of my linux filesystem with tar and bz2

Nick Gawronski nick at nickgawronski.com
Thu Jan 1 07:51:28 EST 2009

Hi, I was planning on using a linux live CD mounting the ext3 filesystem
using it and doing the backup using that.  I want something that I can
resize the partition then uncompress the backup image into the new root
partition so I don't want something that will store filesystem information
just archive files preserving permitions.  I have the gentoo 2007.0 liveCD
that has speakup on it and I was planning to use it for packing and
unpacking the backup.  Should I still use tar or should I use another tool
for this purpose?  I want something that is free and open source.