making a backup of my linux filesystem with tar and bz2

Nick Gawronski nick at nickgawronski.com
Thu Jan 1 02:10:19 EST 2009

Hi, I was wanting to backup my linux system running debian unstable so I can
keep a backup off of my system before I start installing lots of software I
want to be able to quickly restore to a usable state with out reinstalling
everything.  I want to make a backup of just one partition as I have linux
on one partition and will be saving the backup to an USB flash drive that
will be mounted as well.  What I don't want to happen is for the tar program
to also backup all mount points and their contents but I do want it to
backup the directories on my ext3 filesystem and the directories for the
mount points so when I restore the backup there will be empty directories
for my USB flash drives and not directories with all of the contents from
the drive when the backup was made.  What would be the best command to do
this and use bzip2 with the minus 9 compression option and preserve
permitions and directory structure?