making a backup of my linux filesystem with tar and bz2

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Thu Jan 1 08:29:18 EST 2009

Keep in mind that most USB drives are formatted as FAT32.  That means
that you can't have archives over 2 GB in size.  Unless you have a means
of splitting and recombining files like an extra partition or your
filesystem will never grow above 2 GB, tar and bz2 probably won't work
with USB.  You could try backing up to a network drive with Samba or
similar.  I'm fairly sure that grml has smbclient and support for
mounting smb shares but I don't know about Gentoo.