Integrating Speakup/ESpeakup into Debian boot process, part 2

William Hubbs w.d.hubbs at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 16:19:07 EDT 2009

Hi Michael,

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 10:46:02AM -0700, Gaijin wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 05:11:47PM -0700, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> > Even if speakup won't be upgraded in Lenny, Lenny's default kernel is
> > 2.6.26, so I don't see why you're using Shane's 2.6.18 kernel, which
>
> 	Because like I
> ve reported previously on this mailing list, it's the only one that
> doesn't lock my computer up tight when speakup crashes.
> 	If I let speakup talk during bootup and don't silence it some
> way, it never gets thru the bootup process.  I have to press the
> cabinet's reset button and make sure the Doubletalk LiteTalk (LTLK
> module) buffer doesn't overflow and halt the system.  Long directory
> listings, or cat'ing a more than maybe a 4K file also locks up the
> system.  Logging into IRC and listening to the server login message of
> the day locks up the system.  I dunno if it's speakup, Debian, or the
> UART on the motherboard causes it, but it only does it with the speakup
> versions greater than the one in the Shane kernel.

 Are you sure it is a lockup, or can you hit printscreen and have it
 start talking again?

 I ask because this sounds like the full_time issue.  If you cat
 /sys/module/speakup/parameters/full_time and see a number less than
 40000, you will have this issue.

This default was fixed in speakup git, you might have to get the speakup
package from debian testing or unstable to get the latest fixes if you
are not using git.

William