Integrating Speakup/ESpeakup into Debian boot process, part 2

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Fri Apr 10 13:46:02 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 05:11:47PM -0700, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> Even if speakup won't be upgraded in Lenny, Lenny's default kernel is
> 2.6.26, so I don't see why you're using Shane's 2.6.18 kernel, which

	Because like I
ve reported previously on this mailing list, it's the only one that
doesn't lock my computer up tight when speakup crashes.
	If I let speakup talk during bootup and don't silence it some
way, it never gets thru the bootup process.  I have to press the
cabinet's reset button and make sure the Doubletalk LiteTalk (LTLK
module) buffer doesn't overflow and halt the system.  Long directory
listings, or cat'ing a more than maybe a 4K file also locks up the
system.  Logging into IRC and listening to the server login message of
the day locks up the system.  I dunno if it's speakup, Debian, or the
UART on the motherboard causes it, but it only does it with the speakup
versions greater than the one in the Shane kernel.

			Michael