Xen - Re State of accessibility on BSD systems

luke speakup at lists.tacticus.com
Wed Sep 24 04:19:34 EDT 2008

Tony Baechler apparently wrote:

> Does anyone know about xen?  It can apparently run both BSD and Linux
> and has console tools for administration,

Both are true.  I use it heavily for running multiple Linuxes inside
Linux.  Beautiful system, Xen.

> Will it support multiple VMs such as a Linux host with BSD guest

Such is the theory behind virtualization.:)  Yes.

> How would one install BSD on a xen VM?

One method which _might_ work, is to setup a guest image which simply
contains the installation CD.  Boot it with what you need to get it into
text mode, and start a xen console on it, and you just might be able to
use the installer to install on to a virtually exported hard drive
partition, which you could later boot as its own guest.

I think that some such scheme is described in the Xen user's Manual,
although it's been a couple years since I read that thing.

A tip for using Xen and Linux virtualization in general: LVM2 is a near
must, if you're doing anything speculative.  Yes, you can use loop file
systems, and probably want to for the installer that we're talking about
here, but they are said to be slow for routine use, and I have no reason
to doubt that.

Luke