Xen - Re State of accessibility on BSD systems

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Wed Sep 24 06:42:57 EDT 2008

Hi,

Sorry to overquote here, but I'm confused by your message.  I do
understand what virtualization is, but I wasn't 100% sure that Xen is in
fact a virtualization product.  It looked like it requires special
kernels with Xen patches, but the manual says it runs Windows XP.  I
know what loop files are, but what is LVM or LVM2?  I know it stands for
logical volume management, but how does that have to do with this?
Other than knowing what LVM stands for, I have no clue what it does or
why one would want it.  I noticed the Lenny installer offered it when I
was setting up partitions but again with no explanation.  I would think
that a CD image would be a .iso file which in turn would be a loop
filesystem, so again how does LVM enter into it?  I did read a bit of
the manual and it said nothing about any of this.  It said that one must
use grub as a boot loader.  Does that mean that lilo won't work or are
they suggesting grub because it's more flexible?  A step by step guide
of exactly what to do to set up a basic VM would be helpful.  I see that
there are special xen kernel images and modules, but I'm not sure how I
would set up a primary and secondary linux VM setup.  For example, I
would want to run a virtual Linux server inside a host server.  How?
Once I get that working, I would like to play with NetBSD again since
the manual says it has a Xen installer.  This still doesn't address how
accessible all of this is.  With VMWare for example, I have no speech
once I start even a text OS like FreeDOS unless I load a screen reader.
Would this still apply in Xen?  If so, would that mean I would need
sighted help?  The point for me would be to do this on my own, at least
with BSD.  Sorry for so many questions, but Xen seems different than
other VM solutions I've seen and I think I'm not grasping important
things here.