State of accessibility on BSD systems

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Tue Sep 23 09:39:11 EDT 2008

Tony Baechler, le Tue 23 Sep 2008 03:27:52 -0700, a écrit :
> I looked in Debian and there is no qemu-curses package.  The regular
> qemu requires X.

Use the qemu from Lenny, it has the ncurses patch.

> Even if Qemu has a curses setup, is that also supported in the guest
> OS?

As long as the OS doesn't start a graphical environment, qemu -curses
works fine.

> In other words, can it not use a GUI when launching say DOS or the BSD
> installer?

These are text mode, so that should work.

> Does anyone know about xen?  It can apparently run both BSD and Linux
> and has console tools for administration,

Actually Xen doesn't have anything but console versions for the tools.
The XenSource sells a graphical interface, but everything can be done
from the opensource console tools.

> Will it support multiple VMs such as a Linux host with BSD guest

Of course, that's the point of virtualization :)

> How would one install BSD on a xen VM?

I don't know if there is a xen flavor of the BSD installer. Debian will
have one in Lenny.

Samuel