mini-beep.iso seems obsoleted already

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at ftml.net
Mon Sep 8 07:35:52 EDT 2008

Hi Tony,

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 03:29:33AM -0700, Tony Baechler wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I don't know if the iso has been updated or not, but a new install was
> just done on a machine here with no problem.  It installed the 2.6.26
> kernel.  What if you do a normal install and manually build Speakup
> modules or try to apt-cache search speakup-modules?  You could also
> install speakup-source and build your own that way.  The machine didn't
> have speech and wouldn't need Speakup, but the actual install itself was
> fine.

The currently available mini-beep.iso is identical to the one I
downloaded when Samuel originally posted it, so I'm sure it has not
been updated.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm a little nervous about ending up
with a system that might not boot. I'm trying to avoid the need to
compile my own, too, so maybe patience is the policy to follow here.

Samuel says on his home page that since daily builds of mini.iso  are
now available, he is not going to update his own. That's entirely
reasonable, but I have no braille display, and speakup is not yet
included in the daily builds.

Thanks also for your experience with the ltlk synth. I'm sure I was
misinterpreting the failure of the device with a frozen computer. I
won't be so quick to reboot next time the device quits talking.

Chuck

--
The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

My web site: http://hallenbeck.ftml.net -- my telephone: 1-518-334-9022.
                                --------
Exhilaration is that feeling you get just after a great idea hits you,
and just before you realize what is wrong with it.