New kernel problems

William Hubbs w.d.hubbs at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 18:13:53 EDT 2008

Hi Jason,

Correct, the kernel needs to be installed before emerging speakup.

I do not have a special script that I use to install kernels.  If you
have sys-apps/debianutils installed, it has a script that will do this.
I do this to compile and install a kernel:

cd /usr/src/linux
# configure the kernel
make # this compiles the kernel after configuring it
make modules_install install

Then you have to edit the /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 file and
put in there a line for the speakup module you want to load.

Once that is done, you should be up and running on your next reboot.

William