Debian Well Underway

Erik Heil eheil at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu Oct 16 10:57:13 EDT 2008

Hi their,
What I can tell you is that framebuffer support i.e. /dev/fb is not
present in at least 2.6.18 by default.  This is using the stock Debian
kernel and using a Geforece2MX video board.  Either framebuffer support is
not in the kernel, or their are problems with that type of particular
hardware.  This was, in fact, the culprit of my display problems I posted
about efroe.  It had nothing to do with the auto detection code that was
introduced between Sarge and Lenny.  Rather, the X server couldn't write
to the nonexistent framebuffer device, so of course it would generate an
error.  Log messages in this case were not helpful though.

--Erik