installing speakup on ubuntu

aerospace1028 at hotmail.com aerospace1028 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 25 07:26:22 EST 2008

Greetings,
I'm sure someone else has probably asked this before, but I can't seam to find the answer in the archives.

I have Ubuntu (8.04) installed on a test machine (not connected to the internet).  I have orca and brltty both working well, but I'm interested in getting speakup for use in the text consoles (CTRL+F1-F6).  My understanding is that I will need to re-compile the kernel.  I want to know, is there a way to do this without sighted asistance?  The kernel compiling instructions on the ubuntu wiki site require ncurses and to my understanding, orca does not function well with ncurses.  Am I correct?  Will brltty read ncurses?  Is there another way to build the kernel with speakup?

Thank you:-)