mail setup in lenny

Tyler Spivey tspivey at pcdesk.net
Sat Nov 22 14:26:37 EST 2008

Personally, I just keep my mail in a maildir in my home directory. Either way you go (mbox or maildir),
you can convert from one to the other. Just to get started, set the path of your mbox to something like /home/keith/mail/inbox,
create ~/mail if it doesn't already exist (mkdir ~/mail) and touch ~/mail/inbox.
Add this line to your ~/.muttrc:
set spoolfile=~/mail/inbox
touch just creates a 0 byte file so getmail has something to deliver to; the no such file or directory
was telling you that it couldn't find /var/mail/keith. Personally I like having my mail in my home directory for
ease of backups and organization.
If you really want it in /var/mail/keith, you can su to root and
touch /var/mail/keith
chown keith: /var/mail/keith
which will create the file and set its owner to keith.
But you'll probably end up with a customized .muttrc anyways, so the home directory is probably a good option.

- - Tyler