mail setup in lenny

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Sat Nov 22 15:06:41 EST 2008

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 06:26:17PM -0000, lists at barrettpianos.co.uk wrote:
> This is what I have done.
> [destination]
> type = Mboxrd
> path = /var/mail/keith

	I had this same problem, and couldn't get getmail to write to
the /var/mail directory, even with file permissions seeming right.  I
had to settle for writing to ~/mbox instead, or go through setting up
the system to use the "type = MDA_external" feature and pass things
through the mailserver to the /var/mail dir.  Anyway, I'm sure you need
"mail" group permission to write to /var/mail.  I use an alias called
"mb" to have mutt read the mbox file:

alias mb='mutt -f ~/mbox'

	I load aliases at login by placing them in the ~/.bashrc file.
(Actually, a ~/.aliases file is sourced to make things easier to modify
on the fly, but that's another story.)

alias Saliases='alias > ~/.aliases'

	Anyway, you may have read permission for /var/mail/keith, but
not write permission to /var/mail, and that's causing the problem.  HTH,

			Michael