mail setup in lenny

lists at barrettpianos.co.uk lists at barrettpianos.co.uk
Sat Nov 22 13:26:17 EST 2008

I am hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Using debian lenny, I am trying to collect mail using mutt and
getmail.

I found a howto which is for etch which I have used as I cannot find
any lenny specific howtos on the subject.

This is what I have done.

Installed getmail4 with apt-get

nano ~/.getmail/getmailrc
[retriever]
type = SimplePOP3Retriever
server = mail.plus.net
username = my username
 password = my password
[destination]
type = Mboxrd
path = /var/mail/keith

I login to the debian system with username keith

Now these are the error messages.

Running getmail
error: configuration file /home/keith/.getmail/getmailrc incorrect
path: specified mbox file /var/keith/Mail does not exist.

If I run mutt I get

/var/Mail/keith no such file or directory

I have not created a .muttrc locally so the lenny defaults should
apply?

I think my problem is to do with the path or lack of a mailbox
although mutt seems to be looking for one.

Sorry about all this but been at it all day and I think I am digging a
deeper hole for myself.

I am new at this so please assume I have little knowledge of linux.

Thanks

Keith