anyone using openwrt

Daniel Dalton d.dalton at iinet.net.au
Mon May 5 02:59:55 EDT 2008

On Sun, 4 May 2008, Christopher Moore wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm thinking of getting a linksys wrt54g router and flashing it with
> openwrt.  I'm getting tired of the web insterfaces used in most

They are fantastic, but consider the supported asus ones too... They have
more ram and can be better...
I have an asus and apparently it is one of the units with the most ram and
flash ever made...
Its probably a good idea to do a bit of research, there is an irc channel,
wiki and mailing list. Oh and the forums.

> routers,
> and openwrt allows you to ssh into the router and change your
> configuration without having to use a web interface.

It does and it is great, all you need to do is set a password and allow
ssh from the web interface which is accessible with lynx...
But yes, it is good and all the commands are documented on the wiki.
Also you can set iptables rules, run scripts, install packages with ipkg
eg. irssi and you can also set up cron jobs to name a few.

> Does anyone have good or bad experience with openwrt?

Very good, great with ssh and the web interface isn't perfect, eg. the web
firewall is crap re accessibility, but the web interface is better than
most routers.
Oh and the documentation is great.
SSH is the best thing though.

--