slackware 12.0

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Mon Mar 24 23:00:25 EDT 2008

I did a little more experimentation with that version of slackware.  I
found out it's not necessary to copy the speakup kernel onto the system so
long as you do an install with only packages from the first disc.  If
speakup is specified on the boot line and slackware finds it that's what
slackware puts on the system without asking.  This is officially a bug and
will be fixed in the next version most likely.  The installation is
supposed to happen the way it's documented on http://slackbook.org.  Once
the installation gets finished on disc1 and a boot into the new system has
happened it's no problem to mount disc2 and run installpkg in the package
subdirectories from disc2 to install any missing packages.  That's the way
I got around that installation bug. Unfortunately my combination of
monitor card slackware doesn't support so I can go as far as text only
until a better card gets found.  What I have is an NVidia geforce 3410
card and no color depth setting is correct for that card with a Gateway
EV-910 Monitor and this version of slackware.  The good news is that's the
only fatal found in Xorg.0.log when I try configuring and running
xwindows.  I have a trident vga card in an older computer I may try later
this week to see if I can get past this error and get gnome installed on
slackware.  The flavor of gnome I have has orca available in it for
slackware too.