grml on vmware workstation, problem with swspeak

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Mon Mar 3 20:59:53 EST 2008

This is not easily solvable and is not grml's fault.
A pc runs its system timer at a specific rate. Depending on the guest or
host operating system, this varies.
windows can run the timer at 1024hz but no faster.
Linux kernels want to run the system timer at 100, 200, 500 or 1000hz.

the host operating system sets the fastest timer rate; so let's assume
windows at 1024hz.
Now boot Linux and Alsa drivers want the timer to also run at 1024hz. this
isn't going to happen because Windows won't have enough timer ticks to
service all the interrupts from both the virtual machine and actual machine.
What vmware does is it gives the guest as many ticks as it can and fudges
the time to make up for the lost ticks.

You can either reduce the timer frequency that the Linux kernel wants to use
or turn off the highspeed timers.

vmware recommend the following boot options to a Linux kernel to reduce the
impact on system performance. this upsets software speech and the alsa
drivers on occation:
linux noapic nolapic acpi=off clock=pit

there is an article on vmware.com called vmware_timekeeping.pdf or similar
that explains all this. Vmware needs a high resolution timer to keep the
virtual machines in sync and not many old machines have an hpet.
There are also problems with vmware taking control of various timing sources
and certain operating systems won't let go of the timing.

Hope this explains why you might have been having problems.

Regards, Kerry.