grml on vmware workstation, problem with swspeak

jeremy l84ad8r at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 20:31:00 EST 2008

Hello list, I seem to remember this all ready beeing explained, but
can't find it in the load of email I was going through to find it, so,
here it goes again if it hasn't. I am trying to boot the live cd of
either grml 1.0 or 1.1 and use the software speech so as to not have to
connect a external synth. I never did have any luck with getting it
going just from a burned cd and booting it on an old machine I had, so,
vmware was going to be my next best option. But, when I get to the boot
prompt, I type:
grml swspeak
and after about a minute or perhaps a bit less, still when the boot
messages are scrolling up the screen, software speech starts, but, it
sounds like it has a really bad hiss throughout everything spoken. Also
it says some words and spells others. The hissing is with everything it
says, but, you can still sort of understand it, but, certainly not well
enough to use. I was just curious if this could be explained, and, if
so, could be fixed so I could get it going. It would be nice to finally
have linux going and not have to carry around my doubletalk just for
that one thing. I know that telnet, ssh, and, even serial can be used,
but beeing able to actually work on the machine would be a bit better I
think, so, any help would be wonderful.
Hope all is well.