reconfiguring xserver-xorg (xorg.conf)

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at ftml.net
Wed Jul 30 19:32:18 EDT 2008

Michael,

Thanks for your ideas, but to return to my original problem, it is the
xserver-xorg base that does not run for me. It has nothing to do with a
desktop. Every desktop will require a running X to be present first,
and that is what I cannot make happen here. Others have commented on
this, and it seems that xorg insists on a physical monitor connected to
the system in order to be configured. I have no monitor. Well, okay, I
do, but it is not convenient to connect it to this boxat the moment.

I have too much to lose here by following leads that do not seem
relevant to my primary issue. At the moment I'm pursuing Samuel's
suggestion about xvfb and the xvfb-run script, which appear more
promising.

Once X is running, I'll worry about configuring a desktop.

Chuck