intro and questions

Alonzo mariachiac at aim.com
Sun Jul 27 14:13:36 EDT 2008

Hello everyone,

My name is Alonzo. I'm from Texas and attend TexasA.M   in Corpus
Christi. I am currently using Fc9 and am new to linux. I'm not totally
new, but I'm just barely getting back into linux after using  four it
years ago.

My computer is anAMD64 with a gig of ram. I have installed the 32 bit
version of Fedora with speakup motified. I'm wanting to use speakup, but
just had a few questions before I do so.
I Also have a laptop running ubuntu. So if it would be easier to convert
my laptop to Fedora, then I can do that as well. I just need input.

My questions are the following for fedora:
1. When using the speakup connector, for ttsynth, I just coppy the make
file into /usr/local/bin/
then creat an alias to start speak up.

2. When I edit the file grub.conf I beleive it's in /boot. To specify
the software speech at boot do I just scroll to the end of the file and
type speakup_synth=sftsynth then restart the computer and hope to have
speech at boot time?

questions not related to speakup:
1 When using the graphical end of Fedora in Gnome, I'm unable to hear
sound and speech at the same time. That is, if I play try listening to
an mp3, I would have to kill speech before hearing music. I tried
following the instructions to get espeak to work along side orca on the
wiki page, but it does not work. please advise on that as well.

Thank you,
Alonzo

note:
I can be reached the following ways
msn: mariachiac at aim.com
aim: mariachiac

If the issues stated above are better solved by phone, then I can
provide that information as well.