Shane's kernels

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Jul 14 12:30:23 EDT 2008

John Heim wrote:
> Somebody on this list took it upon himself to post speakup enabled
> versions of the -6 kernels. I don't remember who that was. But it's
> not an ideal solution because the person was not a debian maintainer.
> I wouldn't be comfortable pointing someone to a web site that wasn't
> on the debian server. I mean, I point people to my own web site for
> the debian speechd-up package but I know me.  I wouldn't blame anyone
> if other people didn't trust my speechd-up package.

Hi,

That person would be me.  No, I'm not a Debian maintainer but anyone can
build kernel packages which follow the Debian guidelines.  Look at the
"kernel-package" package.  I read the docs and followed the
instructions, so I believe that my packages are as close as possible to
those officially from Debian.  On the other hand, I've gotten behind a
couple releases and I can't build for 64-bit systems.  Since it looks
like the Speakup modules will make it to Lenny, I'll probably not
maintain my packages.  Also, I build my 2.6.24 kernel packages on Etch
even though the kernel source is from Sid, so all the more reason why
there should be nothing wrong with using them.  For what it's worth, it
worked fine on my Sid system and I'm still using it.  If you're
referring to another kernel, that's not me and I've never posted 2.6.18
kernels.

> So does anybody know if Shane is going to continue to maintain his
> debian web space? If not, it's rather a large loss.

I don't know but I would guess not since it hasn't been updated since
the release of Etch back in April 2007.  I hope he updates his files
with the Lenny release.