Shane's kernels

Foreign White Devil gaijin at clearwire.net
Mon Jul 14 16:36:31 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 09:30:23AM -0700, Tony Baechler wrote:
> That person would be me.  No, I'm not a Debian maintainer but anyone can
> build kernel packages which follow the Debian guidelines.

	Trew, but that presupposes knowing git, kernel compilation in
Debian, and that you have a working copy of linux installed.  Getting
from point A to point B without a working, accessible distro installed
and with only a Winderz background...Come on, guys.  We know better than
this, and while he's trying to use Firefox in the Etch GUI without Orca
support and fighting with the CLI to find something that will display a
web page...he's going to have a hard enough time discovering that some
500 binaries are installed, many of them barely configured, who's man
pages are written in an alien language written for super-geeks, all from
a barely documented SpeakUP interface.  I, myself, had to install
Slackware 11 which came with SpeakUP and enough docs on the CD to be
able to use it, get sendmail up and running with fetchmail to get on the
mailing lists, find the Shane CD to finally install Debian, which I was
somewhat familiar with already when I was sighted.  Even with a previous
linux background, it took three months just to get bakck into Debian.
Until Debian officially supports us, I can't recommend it to anyone
else.  I'll recommend those that do, and hope he eventually finds Debian
when he knows what's what and can see Debian's superiority.  If he were
sighted, I'd recommend Debian first with no reservations.

			Michael