Shane's kernels (was: Best distro)

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Jul 14 11:17:51 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gregory Nowak" <greg at romuald.net.eu.org>
To: "Speakup is a screen review system for Linux." <speakup at braille.uwo.ca>
Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2008 8:25 PM
Subject: Re: Best distro

> On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 07:19:11PM -0600, Tyler Littlefield wrote:
>>> Debian still doesn't support SpeakUP,
>> someone has some research to do:
>> http://people.debian.org/~shane
>
> I think he meant official support for speakup, in which case he's
> right. Shane's iso isn't the stock debian iso which you can download
> as an official debian iso, (I.E. an iso officially produced, and
> supported by the debian project).

Last time I checked, Shane's space on the debian site had 2.6.18-4  kernels.
A 2.6.18 kernel is kind of old but the main problem is the "4" right at the
end of the kernel version number. That means it has the root exploit that
was fixed with the 2.6.18-6 kernels.

Somebody on this list took it upon himself to post speakup enabled versions
of the -6 kernels. I don't remember who that was. But it's not an ideal
solution because the person was not a debian maintainer. I wouldn't be
comfortable pointing someone to a web site that wasn't on the debian server.
I mean, I point people to my own web site for the debian speechd-up package
but I know me.  I wouldn't blame anyone if other people didn't trust my
speechd-up package.

So does anybody know if Shane is going to continue to maintain his debian
web space? If not, it's rather a large loss.