Bugs in DEC-Talk Express driver

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Feb 22 04:02:36 EST 2008

Hi,

I've noticed these bugs going back to at least 2000.  I didn't report
them at the time because I didn't realize they were bugs and Speakup was
still in very early development.  This happens on every kernel I've
tried with Speakup support.  I am not a programmer but I tracked part of
the problem down to the init string sent by the speakup_dectlk.c driver.

1. Period pause:  For no apparent reason, the following command is sent
to the unit when the driver initializes: [:pe -380 ]  I have no idea why
the period pause is greatly shortened but no other program that I know
of does that.  It gives speech a choppy quality.  That should be removed
from the driver.

2. Unspoken numbers:  I don't know what commands are being sent to
handle numbers, but numbers in the middle of words aren't spoken after
I've used Speakup for a while.  For example, you should hear disk 1 part
01 but it's pronounced disk part 01.  The exact string is: disk1part01

If there is a bug report form I should fill out, let me know.  This bug
still appears as of the lastest cvs version that I've looked at.