programs that work good with speakup

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Wed Feb 20 13:34:20 EST 2008

'Good' is a relative term, so I will try to point out some
possibilities where I might.

I do not use IM programs, but some discussions on this topic have come
up in the past--maybe something in the archives is findable?

I do not use skype--maybe someone else can suggest something.

As for the word processor, if you want to process only words (no
embedded graphics, etc.), a powerful text editor may handle your
needs--perhaps the emacs editor will work for you?

I see that the sc spreadsheet calculator program is here on my
Slackware system, and it presents a spreadsheet screen in text mode.
I have not tinkered with sc for many years--maybe it is worth looking
over.

As for games, if it is text games you want, some LINUX distributions
come with the BSD games set.  If you want more, there is the
interactive fiction archive site at

http://ifarchive.org/

You can compile various programs from this site to play all sorts of
text adventure games, and the archive (over 3.1 GB) is available via
rsync as follows:

mkdir ~/ifarchive
rsync -rlptDv --bwlimit=0 --timeout=300 --partial --delete \
ibiblio.org::pub/docs/interactive-fiction/ ~/ifarchive

For graphical games you will probably need some sort of GUI.

HTH, and have a great day.

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 11:07:59PM -0500, josh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are there any good msn messenger,
> skype
> word processor
> spreadsheet
> and accessible games that work good with speakup?
> I want to use grml since I hear that gnome takes up lots of memory and
> stuff.
>
> Josh
>
> email: jkenn337 at gmail.com
> skype: jkenn337
> msn: kenn6498ku at hotmail.com

rreid at sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
...passing through The City of Internet at the speed of light...
CIRCLE CIRCUMFERENCE = 2 * _pi * r