system with speakup software already installed?

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Sat Dec 20 21:17:28 EST 2008

/dev/dsp is an oss device not alsa.
Fix whatever program to use alsa devices where possible.

Some people tell me pulsaudio is good; and the best thing since slice bread.
Others sware you should uninstall it (which might break gnome etc).
Sorry I only have ubuntu at command-line at this stage, no gnome and Orca
involved yet.
I will look at viubuntu soon.
Regards, Kerry.